Email: (everything below)
So, after our conversation I thought I would ask you a few biblical questions (and include the answers that I found and where I found them). If you come up with something else, please let me know…
1. Who is the father of Joseph? MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ. OR LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.
2. How many stalls and horsemen did Solomon have? 1KI 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen. OR 2CH 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.
3. What did Judas do with the money he got for selling out Jesus and how did he die? ACT 1:18: "Now this man (Judas) purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out." OR MAT 27:5-7: "And he (Judas) cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. And the chief priests...bought with them the potter's field."
4. Who prophesied the potter's field? MAT 27:9-10 (mentions Jeremiah but no such verse in Jeremiah) is in Zechariah 11:12-13
5. What were the last words that Jesus said before he died? MAT 27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost." OR LUK 23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost. OR JOH 19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
6. Who caused David to “take a census” (number the people)? II SAMUEL 24: And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah. OR I CHRONICLES 21: And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.
7. Can God tempt us? GEN 22:1 "And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham." OR JAS 1:13"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man."
8. How many children did Michal, the daughter of Saul, have? 2SA 6:23 Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death. OR 2SA 21:8 But the king took the two sons of Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, whom she bare unto Saul, Armoni and Mephibosheth; and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul, whom she brought up for Adriel the son of Barzillai the Meholathite.
9. Did those with Saul/Paul at his conversion hear a voice? ACT 9:7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man. OR ACT 22:9 And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.
10. Are they For or against? MAT 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad. (default is against) OR MAR 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part. (default is for) OR LUK 9:50 And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us. (default is for).
11. Family tree question… The mother of Abijah: 2CH 11:20 Maachah the daughter of Absalom OR 2CH 13:2 Michaiah the daughter of Uriel
So, let me know what YOU come up with? Used the King James version since many inerrantists like this version but the discrepancies continue in most of the more modern translations as well. Some may fall off the list but not all of the errors can be explained away by translation issues. Mostly, it just points out that there are errors in the Bible and we have to figure out how to deal with that WITHOUT loosing our faith.
For some of us, we remember that we are not called by God to “believe in the Bible” but to have the faith of Jesus Christ but that is a whole ‘nother discussion…